During April, May, and June, some of our friends begin to pack up their belongings and prepare for their trips back to their homes in the northern U.S. But before you hop on that plane, make sure you go through the appropriate steps to close your Southwest Florida home.
Many things can happen when you close up and leave your home for an extended period of time. The warmth and humidity of our Sunshine State leads to mold, mildew, rust, and unpleasant odors, and those are just your likely problems. Water leaks, strong winds, and even burglars may present some interesting problems with which to deal upon your return. Don’t come home to a troublesome situation; take these steps to ensure a happy homecoming.
- Clean out your refrigerator
- Run water in all faucets for 10 minutes to flush system, then put olive oil (about one capful) in trap to seal in moisture
- Turn off the water
- Unplug the hot water heater/Turn off the breaker
- Make sure pool water supply autofill is still functioning
- Turn off the breaker for the pool heater
- Set the air conditioner at 78 degrees and the dehumidifier at 45
- Open all of the interior doors to circulate air throughout the home
- Close all of the curtains and blinds to keep the heat out
- Install surge protectors throughout your home
- Unplug all audio/visual components, including the phone and cable lines
- Unplug the garage door opener
- Clean out gutters and drainage
- Have all stucco cracks sealed and all caulking at windows and doors inspected and repaired as necessary
- Inspect grading at the perimeter of your home for improper slope (All grading should slope away from the foundation)
- Schedule pest control services
- Bring in lanai furniture
- Stop newspaper deliveries until your return
- Forward your mail to your off-season home
- Temporarily discontinue phone, internet, and cable services.
- Have someone check on your home once a week and open your garage bi-weekly to let in fresh air
Sound exhausting? It doesn’t have to be. London Bay Homes’ customer service team is ready and willing to assist you in all of your home watch needs with the different levels of their Home Watch and Estate Management programs. After all, who better to look after your home while you are away than the luxury custom homebuilder that designed and constructed it?